Intentional Learning Communities
It is the mission of Mannix College to create intentional environments that promote learning and academic success, and meet the needs of our residents. We focus our efforts on offering learning opportunities that:
- help with the adjustment to college life;
- promote responsibility and informed decision making;
- build community;
- nurture individual growth;
- encourage academic success; and
- challenge the way students think about the world.
The first step to promoting student success is understanding our goals and objectives. Below is a list of our desired outcomes in the academic success area.
- Learning what one must do to be successful at university
- Assessing and improving academic skills
- Establishing relationships with faculty members (Faculty Nights, etc)
- Learning about campus and in-college academic resources; and using academic advisory services
- Developing an understanding of the inter-relationship among interests, classes, majors and careers
The Staff and Resident Advisors can facilitate these outcomes by conducting programmes, fostering community, and holding students accountable for their actions - all of what we do to develop intentional learning communities. By creating a living environment that emphasises learning as a priority, we can greatly influence our residents as they strive toward these first-year experience goals.